Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program - California


Contact Information


The Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) and the State of California have implemented a Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) to improve the water quality and enhance wildlife habitat of California's North Central Valley.

Funding Interests

The following practices are eligible for the program:

  • Introduced and Native Grass
  • Wildlife Habitat Improvement
  • Shallow Areas for Wildlife
  • Wildlife Food Plots
  • Existing Vegetative Cover
  • Filter Strips
  • Riparian Buffers
  • Wildlife Habitat Improvement

Geographic Focus

California's North Central Valley

Types of Support

CREP participants are eligible for five types of payments:

  1. Annual Rental Payments
  2. Incentive Payments
  3. Maintenance Payments
  4. Cost-Share Assistance Payments
  5. One-Time State Payments

Grant Size

$0 to $0

Requirements & Limitations

Land must be either cropland or marginal pastureland. Cropland must have been planted to crops 2 of the past 5 years and be physically and legally capable of being cropped. Marginal pastureland can be enrolled provided it is suitable for use as a riparian buffer planted to trees. Lands that have an existing CRP contract or an approved offer with a contract pending are not eligible for CREP until that contract expires.

Application Process

Applications may be submitted to the local county FSA office with Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) providing technical assistance and developing conservation plans. For more information regarding CREP projects, contact the state USDA Service Center (local centers can be found under government in the telephone directory).


Applications are accepted on an on-going basis.

Copyright © 2019 Red Lodge Clearinghouse. All rights reserved.