To protect Oregon and Washington's rivers, forests, fish populations, and land.
Environmental interests include protecting threatened rivers and forests, nurturing native fish populations, and conserving land and open space.
Washington and Oregon
Types of Support
Grants are made for general operating expenses or program development.
Grant Size$7000 to $25000
Requirements & Limitations
Preference will be given to requests from local groups working to improve their immediate environment, and from statewide groups addressing general conservation and protection issues, rather than national organizations with projects in the Pacific Northwest. The foundation does not fund:
- Requests from individuals for research or scholarships.
- Book, video, film, or home-page productions, unless the production is an essential component of the funded project.
- Requests from private schools.
- Computer, software or office equipment purchases.
- Capital campaigns for building construction or renovations.
- Land/property purchase, or capital campaigns for building construction or renovations.
- Requests related to creation or renovation of urban or community parks.
Applicants should send a one-to-two-page letter of inquiry describing the project for which support is being sought. Letters should explain any relationship with sponsoring or coalition organizations. A brief project budget, actual and projected income and expenses, should be attached. (If the project is sponsored by a larger organization, that organization's income/expense budget should be included as well.) Submission of full proposals is by invitation only.
Spring: Letters of interest are due the third Wednesday of January for letter, 1st Wednesday of March for invited proposals. Fall: 3rd Wednesday of August for letter, 1st Wednesday of October for invited proposals.
Grant 1Grantee: American Rivers, Seattle, WA
Purpose: For Flowing Rivers for Washington campaign, payable over 3 years.
Grant 2Grantee: Cascadia Wildlands Project, Eugene, OR
For Wild Forests and Rivers campaign, payable over 1 year.