Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA)


Contact Information


Agricultural Management Assistance (AMA) provides cost-share and incentive payments to agricultural producers who voluntarily address issues such as water management, water quality, and erosion control by incorporating conservation practices into their farming operations. Producers may construct or improve water management structures or irrigation structures; plant trees for windbreaks or to improve water quality; and mitigate risk through production diversification or resource conservation practices, including soil erosion control, integrated pest management, or transition to organic farming.

Funding Interests

Eligible land:

  • cropland;
  • hay land;
  • pasture and rangeland;
  • land used for subsistence purposes; and
  • other land (such as forestland) that produces crops or livestock where risk may be mitigated through operation diversification or change in resource conservation practices.

Geographic Focus

Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Types of Support

The program provides cost sharing or incentive payments.

Grant Size

$50000 to $150000

Requirements & Limitations

The Federal cost-share rate is 75 percent of the cost of an eligible practice, based on the percent of actual cost, or percent of actual cost with not-to-exceed limits, or flat rates. Participants may contribute his or her portion of the cost of practice installation through in-kind contributions, including labor and materials. A conservation plan is required for the area covered in the application and becomes the basis for developing the AMA contract. Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will work with the landowner to develop a conservation plan. Landowners must agree to maintain cost-shared practices for the life of the practice. Contracts are for three to ten years. The NRCS state conservationist, in consultation with the State Technical Committee (STC), will determine eligible structural and/or vegetative conservation practices using a locally led process.

Application Process

Applications are available from your local USDA Service Center or conservation district office. Applications are also available through USDA's e-gov website.


There will be a continuous signup period, with ranking cutoff dates, as determined by the State Conservationist in consultation with the State Technical Committee.

Copyright © 2018 Red Lodge Clearinghouse. All rights reserved.